Friday, October 2, 2009

Field Trip

Thursday, October 1st, we went on what I call an after work field trip. We (PAE Support Team minus 1 who said he'd been there before, :o) but he sure liked what we brought back) went to ISAF, let me see if I get this straight because I don't want to offend anyone. It is a military base represented by military personnel from 40 plus countries. Totally awesome! It was so much fun. We had an opportunity to shop for goodies you normally wouldn't find at Camp Eggars PX. We stocked up on lol, well you name it. There's no need for anyone to crave anything because I think it was purchased. Aside from the food items. They also have some really neat shops. Everything is in Euro's so you really have to watch what you buy because the Euro is worth more than the US $$$. Bummer, I remember when it was the other way around - sad for America - we need to bounce back. Anyway, I bought some really neat Christmas presents. We got back to the compound just in time for me to catch my MST ride over to CSSP to have dinner with friends and hang out for a bit and visit with all those folks from our sister compound. Jillian and Mike had made enchiladas, quesadilla's (sp?) refried beans and Joe made his famous cheese dip - yum. Beth said they had all been to Eggars and bought Corn Chips. It was delicious!

Today, is Friday, the Holy Day in Afghanistan. So it is our only day off. This morning I got up, did my laundry. While that was going, went over to the office to arrange travel for two of our attorneys. Once the laundry was done I went downstairs to wait for my MST ride to Camp Eggars. I met Joe and Steve over there, we shopped at the PX (they had some of that cheese dip in a jar so I thought I'd get some and some corn chips - there were none, I told Joe it was because CSSP had bought them all out) then went to the Bizarre. Camp Eggars hosts a Bizarre every Friday. Found a couple of more Christmas presents. Everyone says Camp Phoenix has a better bizarre but no one seems to know when they are. Anyway, we all ordered pizza for lunch, did some more window shopping so to speak and then went out to meet our MST rides. We can only ride with staff from our own compounds, so the guys pick up was 10 min. earlier than mine, but that's ok, I stood out near the entrance to Eggars in the shade, behind a barrier across from some Afghan security guys. They were drinking tea while looking at me with big smiles on their faces. Commenting I know, about whether or not my flack vest matched my high tech boots. I just know they were. And you know what, they did. How cool is that? :o) My honey picked out those high tech boots and they are so incredibly comfy. I wear them alot. Besides, I have no desire to wear tennis shoes to Eggars, to much dirt, I feel better in my high techs.

So now I'm back, took a shower, washed the dirt off and will just cruise for the rest of the afternoon. Laundry is put away, room is clean. I have my balcony door open. I may even set out there and do some knitting on my looms.

On another note, anyone out there who would be interested in donating to orphanages. Wow! That would be so awesome. There are something like 10 orphanages here and the children could use just about anything. One of our staff works closely with them and recently toured with our DPM several of the orphanages to see what they were in need of. A lot of people give a monetary donation which is used to purchase things like cafeteria tables because theirs are in despictable condition. One of the requests was for an outside spotlight because the bathrooms are located in another building and the children have to walk about 50 feet in the dark and they're afraid to go potty at night. Monies received are spent on items like that. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the $$ are not given to the staff to purchase the items. The items are purchased and installed for them to ensure its not mis-appropriated. So, if you know of any organizations that would be interested in donating to improve the lives of these many children - believe me, it is very much appreciated.

Sometimes we forget or think that just because we come from different parts of the world that we have different goals in life - but we don't. Everyone, I don't care where your from - basically, wants to live a happy life and provide for their family. No matter cultural differences.

Gonna run for now. Until later. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment